Theatre History Research Project
As a group, you will research and study a particular time period in theatre history. Together you will find the following facts about your time period:
I. Clothes and Costumes
a. What were the fashions of the day for men and women?
b. What were the costumes on stage like?
II. Theatre Experience
a. What was it like to go to the theatre at this time?
b. Who went?
c. How much did it cost?
d. What did one wear?
e. What other events were involved in the evening?
III. Actors and Acting
a. Who were the actors?
b. How did they go about their craft?
c. What was the acting style of the time?
d. How were the actors seen by society?
e. What was the role of the chorus?
IV. Stage and scenery
a. What did the stage look like?
b. How big were the stages and the theatres?
c. Where was the theatre located?
d. What scenic elements were used?
V. Plays and Playwrights
a. Who was the famous playwright of the time?
b. What plays were written?
c. Why were they important?
How do we present our information?
- Divide the research up amongst your group members.
- Each group member will create 3 - 5 slides to present their information.
- Each slide will include pictures and graphics of some sort.
- Once each member has created their 3 - 5 slides, you will combine the entire report into one overall PowerPoint presentation and present to the class.
- Each member will present their 3 - 5 slides.
Topics to Cover
- Clothes & Costumes
- Theatre Experience
- Actors & Acting
- Stage & Scenery
- Plays & Playwrights
You will be graded on:
- The PowerPoint
- Your Presentation
- An Open Book Test
To include in your PowerPoint:
- Intro slide
- Title slide
- What will be covered
- Individual slides on different points
- Conclusion slide
- Thank you slide
- Sources slide
To include in your hand-out:
- All the important information covered in your PowerPoint
- You should have copies for every member of our class.
- Keep your handouts in a Theatre History notebook. Don't lose them!
- The questions on your open-book Theatre History test will come from the handouts.
- You must have one (1) quality video to show the class on some aspect of your time period.
- The video should be less than 10 minutes running time.
- The video must be informative and well done.